Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rovigo My Home


I find it difficult to muster much enthusiasm when sharing our adventures in Rovigo. I hope that changes soon or else this blog will dwindle away to nothing before it even gets started. We've been here for 37 days and it looks like we'll be here for another 206 (if my math is correct that's until the end of May 2009. And when I put it that way, it really doesn't seem so long.)

Rovigo is located about 90 km (56 miles) southwest of Venice and about 50 km (31 miles) inland from the Adriatic Sea. It sits smack dab in the middle of flat farmland. Of course there is nothing planted this time of year so what you see is dirt, miles and miles of dirt. I'm not sure of the population but it's probably between 20 or 30,000.

Artichoke Heart and I wanted to find an apartment near the city center so we could jump right in to the bustling city life. Almost everyone here rides a bicycle so we were looking forward to filling our tires up and hitting the road (we shipped our bicycles from Houston but haven't ridden them yet - that's over a year.) Anyway, as luck would have it, we're living about 10 km (6 miles) from Rovigo. It's about a 20 minute drive to work instead of a 5 minute walk or bicycle ride. It's really ok for me because I'm at least in civilization M-F but Artichoke Heart finds it a tad bit isolated.

It and Them love it. ('It' is how some people (not people we like) refer to Frisco. 'Them' are the cats, Michael and Troy.) Anyway they do love it and since their happiness is of ultimate importance, that's where we will stay unless something better appears. The place is called an 'agriturismo' in Italy and is really just a very old estate with lots of trees and pretty surroundings. It is surrounded by empty corn fields and Artichoke Heart is teaching It how to chase pheasants and rabbits. I'm not happy about that but they don't do it in front of me. It also has a chicken coop with roosters, chickens, ducks, a big turkey, and 2 huge geese. It now has a new nickname, Chicken Chaser or CC for short, after we found him inside the chicken coop chasing the chickens. He is no longer allowed out without a leash.

I'm going to close for now and will resume at a later time. I'm new to blogging but I think it will be a great way to keep everyone informed. Keep this link in your Favorites so you can check back from time to time to see how our adventure in Rovigo is progressing......ciao

6 comments:

  1. Excellent blog Susan! I look forward to following your adventures in the Land of Noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artichoke Heart may soon be looking back to his isolated days with great fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grey Bear - I think they would prefer to be called the Land of Pasta...if you remember, some of them won't eat pasta outside of Italy. Pleeez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I should have created my username before I typed my comments...okay, a rookie mistake!

    For some reason I picture you in at an estate like the one where Michael Corleone stayed in Godfather I - the one where his lovely wife was blown up in a car bomb? Am I close? Who is tending to the livestock? Do you need a groundskeeper? I'll volunteer.

    Maybe Artichoke Heart can build a pitch and put in the back 40?

    Look forward to "Tales from Rovigo" and hope all your adventures are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would build a pitch if I knew what one was,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mattsmom, our place isn't nearly as exotic as The Godfather's place but you're welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete